ORIGINS OF INDUSTRIAL AND SYSTEMS ENGINEERING (Part two)
Some of the major functions of industrial engineers involve the following:
- Designing integrated systems of people, technology, process, and methods.
- Developing performance modelling, measurement, and evaluation for systems.
- Developing and maintaining quality standards for industry and business.
- Applying production principles to pursue improvements in service organizations.
- Incorporating technology effectively into work processes.
- Developing cost mitigation, avoidance, or containment strategies.
- Improving overall productivity of integrated systems of people, materials, and processes.
- Recognizing and incorporate factors affecting performance of a composite system.
- Planning, organizing, scheduling, and controlling production and service projects.
- Organizing teams to improve efficiency and effectiveness of and organization.
- Installing technology to facilitate work flow.
- Enhancing information flow to facilitate smooth operations of systems.
- Coordinating materials and equipment for effective systems performance.